Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Seibert Lane

The entrance to our boy's favorite place on earth.

Looking across the pond at house, dock and pool.
The view from the pool back across the pond.

Benjamin holding up his big catch.

Blake measuring his fish!

Blake and his cousin Eric with their wading boots on.
Twelve and Thirteen years old this summer.


Eric's parents and family around the table. Eric and Benjamin all in a day's work!

Youngest Seibert (Brock) not to be outdone by his brothers.
Our family takes a summer sojourn every year to Seibert Lane in Arcade, New York. Eric's family has a vacation home on 42 acres and it is our boy's paradise.
We took our friend Kristen Keyser in 1998 and this is what she wrote after her visit:
"It is the embellishments of childhood that stand alone. Until this summer I have only dreamed of this place, but upon arriving in Arcade, New York, realization set upon me that this, in fact, was the place. 'Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.' The words of Robert Frost echoed in my thoughts. The entrance to my haven was marked with an ordinary street sign labeled Seibert Lane. Turning onto the unpaved road the trees seemed to silently await my arrival. The branches stretched forth, curving over and bowing down as I passed through. A man-built lake comes into a view as the road bends around. The lake is absolutely beautiful and is the color of greenish-brown, completely silent except for the ripples of surfacing fish. Behind the lake are gently, sloping hills that round off into a wall of infinite blue spruces. Trails wind in and around the lush greenness. Located near the dock of the lake is the house...the modest home with few signs of the increasing technology available. The house does not impose on Nature's vast greatness. I learned to just be."

I'm so grateful that Eric's family have added to our boy's childhood with this special place that is on the map but more importantly tattooed on their hearts. It is the place that one day they will tell their kids about the way they spent their summers in New York with their grandparents fishing, swimming, running barefoot and building bon fires.
Matthew 4:18: "They were fishing, throwing their nets into the lake. It was their regular work. Jesus said to them, 'Come with me. I'll make a new kind of fisherman out of you. I'll show you how to catch men and women instead of perch and bass.' They didn't ask question, but simply dropped their nets and followed." The Message Bible

No comments: