Thursday, August 14, 2008

It's Called Life - by Charlotte Lankard

Author and Columnist - Charlotte Lankard

Charlotte Lankard is a weekly columnist for Oklahoma's largest newspaper, where her wisdom and compassion have been shared with countless people. She is a licensed marriage and family therapist; director of the James Hall Jr. Center for Mind, Body and Spirit at Integris Health; founder of Calm Waters, support groups for grieving children; and recognized community leader who made "significant contributions and leadership in physical, mental and spiritual wellness." (biography from It's Called Life)

My mom and I have been reading her column for years and then I got to personally meet Charlotte as she visited the tearoom. What a treat that turned out to be. Then I found her book and gave it to my mom as a gift. My mom called me crying after she had finished reading it and exclaimed, "You have got to read this book."

It's Called Life is a real treasure from the introduction to the last chapter. When a rock-climbing accident dropped Lankard 125 feet down to a canyon floor it changed her life forever. She takes the reader on a journey through pain, divorce, death and cancer of a loved one, and the courage to share her experiences with all of us. She quotes Mary Tyler Moore, "You can't be brave if you've only had wonderful things happen to you," and she challenges the reader to know their fear and face it.

We have signed copies available at the tearoom for $10.99 plus tax.
Psalm 27:13 is a favorite scripture of mine.
It says, "What would have become of me had I not believed that I would
see the Lord's goodness in the land of the living!"
Charlotte Lankard is an example of someone that believed.

No comments: