Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Father's Day 2008

Our youngest son Brock catching a turtle that they named Speedy!

Dining Alfresco on the back deck with all the family!

My dad has seven grandkids and only one girl among the whole bunch!
Don't you love the watermelon in the mouth?

We surprised Eric with a new grill for Father's Day!


My youngest nephew Tate swimming in the pool.


My dad opening his gifts from the family.
My dad is 71 years young. He and my mom had their 50th wedding anniversary on June 21st, 2007. He faithfully pastored churches in Oklahoma for 42 years before retiring in 2003 and thats when the great adventure began first with the wedding chapel http://www.walnutcreekchapel.com/ and then Coles Garden in 2005 http://www.colesgarden.net/ .
I've been so blessed with having my dad for almost 45 years now. He's the type of man that doesn't want to go to a recliner. He wants to die with his boots on. I would like to say that my dad has always been the person that believed in me and encouraged me to follow my dreams. He doesn't believe that you should let obstacles keep you from moving forward. I get a lot of my guts and optimism from him. He is the youngest of 11 children. His high school English teacher told him not to even bother with college so He showed her and ended up with a Doctorate Degree from Fuller University in Pasadena, California when I was in college myself. He says the gardens and chapels will help send all seven grandkids to college. He is still dreaming for the future generations.
These are some of the things I love about my dad. He bought me a pony when I was four years old and taught me how to ride. He didn't ever make me feel I couldn't do something because I was a girl. He taught me to drive a stick shift when I was 12 on my uncle's farm on a dirt road. Girls should know how to drive a stick shift too...this coming from a man who use to drag race in his younger days. We share the love of reading and learning. My dad always tried to say yes more than no. My dad is also the one that shared his faith with me and led me to the Lord when I was five years old. I think it is a fine tribute when a dad raises a strong daughter. My mouth has always gotten me in trouble and I had some preacher's kid rebellion in college but my dad just kept saying to my mom we raised her right and she will get turned around in the right direction. It was my dad who said my mouth would be my winning asset not a liability. I'm still working on that one. When we moved the tearoom in 2006 I drew out the plans on a piece of paper of what I saw the tearoom becoming. He just said lets do it never blinking an eye or questioning my plans. He believed in the dreams of his daughter. Thank you dad for believing in me!
Family is so important!
Don't ever underestimate the love that is shared or the gift that God gives you through your family.
Proverbs 4:10-13 "Listen, my son, accept what I say, and the years of your life will be many. I guide you in the way of wisdom and lead you along straight paths. When you walk, your steps will not be hampered; when you run, you will not stumble. Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life."

No comments: