Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Happy 45th Birthday!


Two cakes and 3 day of celebrating...my 45th birthday!


My son, Benjamin, asked me yesterday morning, "Mom, how does 45 feel?"
My reply, "45 feels great! When you are your age (he turned 11 on September 19th) you don't know how the big questions of your life will be answered: Where you will go to college? What you will become? Who you will marry? How many kids will you have? Where will you live? What will you value? When you are 45 so many of life's questions are settled.


My mom wrote in my birthday card, "I was reminded last night by your dad how anxious we were about your birth. First baby, little knowledge of process, but you finally arrived. What a joyful time. You were so small 7lbs 12 oz and I think 17 1/2 inches long. I was 22 years old. I have seen you grow and mature into a fine Christian woman, friend, mother, daughter, vendor in our business. Wow! May this day be a great one as it has been each September 29th."


My dad wrote, "45 years ago today was a long day while we waited your arrival at 9:40pm. It was a great day! Today is a great day! You have accomplished so much, good husband, three good boys, and built a business. But the most important of all is who you are! Your walk with God is the best your daddy could believe for. Keep going!"
Eric made me a
Graham Cracker Cake
(a favorite recipe from his mom, Helene Seibert)
that I will share with you.
6 egg whites
1/2 tsp salt
(Beat until stiff - set aside)
6 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup walnut chopped fine
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
(Fold into egg yolk misture together with beaten egg whites. Divide evenly into 2 8" or 9" round cake pans that have been lined with wax or parchment paper. Bake 350 degrees about 20 minutes. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove. Layers may be split in two to make 4 layers.)
2 cups whipped cream
(whip until stiff add 2 tsp. confectioners sugar)
Spread each layer with whipped cream.
Frost outside of cake with cream.
Sprinkle with chopped nuts if desired.
Enjoy.


My sons were so excited because they picked out a pink (mom's favorite color) Ipod (they will have to teach me how to use it) and I had so many wonderful gifts, cards and phone calls from family, friends and staff. Eric grill my favorite food Pink Salmon Steaks..yummy! It truly was a great weekend and a great birthday. Thanks everyone who made it so special for me.


The book I read in the Rose Cottage "Lady Lupin's Book of Etiqutte" has an etiquette question about not asking an older woman her age. Its not good manners. But they usually ask me and I always tell them and we giggle. I'm not getting older...I'm getting better. I tell my boys....I will not have plastic surgery...I will be happy with each laugh line that I've earned and one day when your mom is in her nineties...I will be the one in the big floppy hat out in her garden sipping a good cup of tea. Hey, I'm 5 months older than the Vice President nominee for the United States, Sarah Palin. This is a great day to be a woman in her forties!


Phillipians 1:6 "And I am convinced and sure of this very thing, that He Who began a good work in you will continue until the day of Jesus Christ (right up to the time of His return), developing (that good work) and perfecting and bringing it to full completion in you."


God always finishes what He starts. Thank God! He has called us unto Himself and started a good work in us, and He will finish it.

No comments: